Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_18_] Jonno[_18_] is offline

Default Square Foot gardening

Found this the other day. Looks good Further info (I will ignore the other
"information" so I will stay reasonable sane)

http://www.nepanewsletter.com/square.html
a..
a.. Using the square-foot system, you give up the long rows of the
traditional garden. You virtually eliminate thinning,
you save tremendous amounts of seed, and you save lots of time, working
about one hour per 4'x4' grid.

a.. Each of your 4'x4' grids produces an average of 126 plants per year.
Each grid is divided into 16 units of 1'x1', in which you can grow a
different crop.

a.. The average square-foot garden for a family of four takes up 160 square
feet. A conventional garden for a family of four goes 800.

a.. Overplanting is one of the biggest causes of frustration and failure.
But in a square-foot garden, instead of planting most of your seed packet,
you plant only one or two seeds per alloted plant space. Planting an entire
packet and then thinning takes twice as long as the single-seed method. In
addition, the single-seed method produces a stronger crop that matures
earlier. Have many seeds are contained in a common packet? For cabbage it's
560; carrots 1,550; lettuce 1,975. With proper handling and storage, 80% of
these will sprout. What a waste.