Old 05-02-2009, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
mike[_5_] mike[_5_] is offline

Default Green Giant Arborvitae Advice

On Feb 5, 8:58*am, gardengal wrote:
On Feb 4, 11:59*am, mike wrote:

edit: *I might even try 2 foot *spacing on center.

I might rethink that :-) 'Green Giants' are hybrids and only
tangentially related to standard arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis).
Their typical spread is more closely related to Thuja plicata (one of
the parents) and can reach 25' - they are not by habit columnar and
narrow in profile, but rather more of a 'Christmas tree' shape - more
or less conical and broad at the bottom and with a tapering tip. Too
close a spacing will result in heavy shading and die out of lateral
branching and you could end up with a very spotty looking privacy
screen. Recommended spacing for a dense screen is 5-6' o.c.,
otherwise, 10-12'.

I understand, but don't all hedges have lateral branch die-off due to
adjacent neighbor shading?

Also, from what I've read, they can be trimmed to any shape (i.e.
rectangular) even if they would tend to be a tall cone if left alone.