Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Ripening pears

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
I'm grumpy alright, but the heat has nothing to do with it. The
grumpiness is because I'm seeing stupidity from someone who I don't
normally rate as being stupid.

Perhaps the heat causes stupidity.

FarmI,
you should excuse David, he's from "La-La Land" (a.k.a. Los Angeles)
and they are expecting 2 to 4 millimeters of rain on thursday. As you
might expect, panic and confusion has broken out among the
inhabitants of the region at the prospect of a day that isn't bright
and sunny. He'll settle down again, once the crisis is past ;O)

Irony of it is that it appears to be you who is experiencing the heat,
i.e., 91F (33C) in Cooma, and 81F (27C) in Sydney.

No I'm from north of Newcastle, Australia. My pasture is drying off as
there has been no useful rain for three months and I cannot irrigate 'cause
the river has stopped. Weather prediction is 40C (104F) for the weekend, I
may have to send my stock elsewhere if it doesn't rain soon. The mine down
the road wants to turn my valley into a pit and discharge dirty water into
the river, so I am a little tense. Not that that causes forgetfulness.

And did I mention that I wish I had never started this thread?

David

Whoops, my bad ;O)

The strip mine near Martins Creek? Strip mines are a dirty business in
the U.S. They are rarely good neighbors.

This may be totally worthless to you but at

http://www.pickyourown.org/pearpickingtips.htm

it says

* Attached to the tree: Pears are best picked when the fruit
separates easily from the twigs. If it is hard to pull off the tree, it
isn't ready!
* Textu A pear ready to be picked should have a feeling of
springiness to its flesh. Close your hand around one and squeeze. If it
feels absolutely rock hard, it's still not ready. You should be able to
detect a slight feeling of give, but not too much.
* Drops: when healthy fruits begin to drop, the others on the tree
are ready;
* Color: there is a change in fruit color from green to yellow; and
the stem separates easily from the branch. To pick pears, grasp the
fruit firmly and twist or roll it to make the stem separate from the
tree.
* Asian pears, unlike European pears, should be allowed to ripen on
the tree. They need no after-ripening storage period. Asian pears are
ready for harvest when they come away easily from the spur or branch
when they are lifted and twisted slightly. Use the taste test; they're
ready when they taste good. Asian pears should be crisp and crunchy when
eaten.

The other poster is right, the weather guesser says you have a 40%
chance of rain on the 10th, and 60% chance on the 11th and 12th.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars