Old 06-02-2009, 05:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default How Cold at Your Pond?

Pete C wrote:
~ jan wrote:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 12:04:16 EST, "Pete C" wrote:

Huh! Water temp thermometer had dropped to the bottom of the pond.
Howev er, At present (5pm GMT) Air temp at water surface is 1.1°C.
Ten inches of

snow
on the ground, no ice on the pond.

Saw this on the news, how you were all snowed in. It said something
about no snowplows in the city? Is snow that unusual? I heard there
was even mo re
snow coming. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Yes Jan, snow is not as common as it used to be, at least here in the south.
Scotland tends to have more, The huge investment required for the equipment
to deal with this sort of snow fall just isn't worth it. It's about 25 years
since we had snow this deep.

Snow is very unusual in the south of the UK.....as Pete says it just
doesn't make sense to buy snow ploughs that might get used once a
decade......however, we are now appararently running out of gritting
salt......we are using it quicker than it can be mined/produced.....

Right now, we are on a weather warning again....but it is
raining/sleeting rather than snowing.....it feels pretty mild compared
to the non-snow days - we are at a balmy 34F right now......apparently
it might turn around 3am and then continue for 6 hours....

We had a pretty large downfall, for us, this morning (I'm almost
embarassed to confess the amount considering the fuss that is being made
- but it was around 4") ....but we don't get snow usually other than a
light dusting on the odd occassion.....and we are not set up to deal
with it.....thankfully 2 of the kid's schools were open today and I just
had one lounging around the house today.....

Dunno how the fish are coping.....the pond tends to thaw during the day
and then freeze up again at night.....I guess I am powerless to do
anything other than ensure that there are air-holes in the ice....not
found any bodies when it does thaw so I'm hopeful....

Gill