Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default snowdrops on line

wrote in :

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

This sort of thing reminds me of the man who tried to sell me a car on
the grounds that it was a lovely colour and had a really
easy-to-remember number plate. He was about 30 and I was in my 50s at
the time. I need hardly say that I didn't buy that car or any car
from the establishment he graced with his stupidity.

I came very close to being thrown out of the salesroom by one that
got annoyed by my description of all the fancy features, like air
conditioning, central locking as so on, as gimmicks that reduced
the value of the car in my eyes.

I've often wished I had a copy of the ad for the Citreon 2CV
that used to be in Private Eye. It listed many features that
other cars have and the 2CV _didn't_, e.g. electric windows,
burglar alarm, water-cooled engine etc etc. The only feature
it did have was "central locking for doors*"

* all locks can be reached from the drivers seat.

But then I did spend a decade driving an old Land Rover
which had many bits nicked from Minis, a fuel guage
originally calibrated in Roentgens/hour, and one working
windscreen wiper. (As the garage had to agree, the MoT
said that windscreen wipers must work, if they are
fitted).

It didn't unduly phase me when the fuel
tank half fell off (since I just happened to have
suitable bolts on me), nor ditto the engine, since
I had engine mountings on me Ah, the foolhardiness
of youth.

Mind you, it wasn't a bad investment - I sold it for
the same price I paid for it, even after it had been
off the road for 18 months.