Old 07-02-2009, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ted Byers Ted Byers is offline

Default Hello Again , ABPO ?

On Feb 6, 11:30*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:29:59 -0800 (PST) in Ted Byers *wrote:
Granted, things have gotten better, we're back to normally having web
pages where I can click on a specific blog entry and get a URL I
can send to someone else and 1) it'll work 2) It's human readable
and less than 80 characters long....
But it's a UI nightmare to shuffle between live journal,
various software blogs, launchpad.... *And maintaining state about
what's read and unread and what was marked as unread so it
could be reread, is pretty much non-existant.

Tell me about it. I have to handle such nightmares when designing web
based user interfaces that the end user would find both useful and
friendly. BTW: maintaining such state is not hard to handle IF one
creates an effective subscription interface (using a design pattern
similar to what is required for the combination of security and user
friendliness that requires single logon for multiple applications with
unique permissions requirements for different categories of users);
but creating it requires a software engineer who knows what he's doing
and finding one of these is itself a nightmare.

Plus I'm horribly biased from 11 years of dealing with incompetent
websphere developers mixed with cargo cult PHP developers
and my normal inspiration being to go build a raised bed
instead of writing something that sucks less :-).

Don't forget the cult Ruby developers and cult Javascript developers
and, the worst of the lot, VB developers. ;-)

I no longer get upset with the hordes of incompetent developers out
there. Instad I seek to endure what I can't change, change what I
can, and especially seek the wisdom to know the difference.

What passes for a curriculum for software engineers these days at a
lot of colleagues is a disgrace. It is annoying that such folks
damage the market for custom software by their routine failure to
deliver good quality software, but there isn't much one can do about
it. And I see poor quality software everywhere I go.

I'll stop here as this gets rather depressing ...

Cheers

Ted