Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Is tea a herb?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Ed wrote:
On 05/02/09 23:23, David Hare-Scott wrote:
phorbin wrote:
In article ,
says...

Is tea a herb? Just that, with apologies if it's not exactly OT.
Oh, there is one more thing: is 'herb' pronounced erb?

Tea is camellia sinensis and it is an herb.

I would not think it is a herb in the botanical sense as it has woody
stems and doesn't die down seasonally.

David

The Rosemary bush in my garden has woody stems and does not die down
seasonally. And yet, Rosemary is a herb!

Ed

Sure it is a medicinal/culinary herb. From Wikipedia:

"In botanical usage a herb or herbaceous plant is any non-woody plant,
regardless of its flavor, scent or other properties. A botanical herb cannot
therefore be a woody plant such as a tree or shrub."

David

Somebody has jumped the rails here. An herb is what it does in cooking;
flavor. That would include parsley, rosemary, and bay. A medicinal herb
is an unprocessed plant that has curative properties and includes yarrow
leaves, and buck-eye balls.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars