Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_18_] Jonno[_18_] is offline

Default Bee interested?

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
Trish Brown wrote:

terryc wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 07:06:07 +0000, Jonno wrote:

Also sound louder than their european cousins.
Sounded a bit like a mini chainsaw (note Jonno sometimes exagerates)

I take it that you don't get teddy bears then?

Actually, all this bee talk is a bit sad as we haven't seen any this
spring and summer and normally we would see at least one BB each day.

We've been noticing an *awful* lot of your ordinary Australian Hornets
lately. Must be a bumper year for them. We've also got Paper Wasps
nesting under our eaves and foraging in the garden. Can you imagine how
I cheered when I saw one carting a Cabbage Moth caterpillar off to feed
its family?

I'm seeing a lot of wasps and hornets, too. Can't see any paper wasp
nest,
but there must be one about. Like you, I'm happy to have them -- they
don't
bother me and I don't bother them!

I often see blue-banded bees but I think I've only seen a teddy bear bee
once.

WRT the European Wasps, Johnno -- ring your Council and tell them you've
seen
them around and see if they have any luck locating them.

I'm not sure they would be interested, but will call them on Monday and see
what they say!