Old 07-02-2009, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acacia frost damage

In article ,
Judith in France wrote:

I have Acaias in my garden but as there are several types, I'm unsure
which one it is. It's certainly not the one I had in UK which had
little yellow fluffy flowers and was planted direct into a planting
hole in a conservatory, that was not hardy, hence it was grown
inside. The ones I have here are as tough as old boots, they have to
be, when they are in leaf and flower about May, I will post a photo
and perhaps someone can identify them for me.

As far as I know, none are hardy in the colder parts of the UK.
This winter is going to see off a LOT of the more tender plants
that people have been putting in over the past decade.

I shall have to see if my Erythrina crista-gallis, Albitzia
julibrissin and pomegranate (in a pot) come through. The feijoa
(also in a pot) may also have trouble if it gets much colder.

My Ipomea indica in the bed definitely won't - but it didn't do
anything much this year and only just came through last winter.
It was worth a go as it layers readily!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.