Old 08-02-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Acacia frost damage

On 8/2/09 11:21, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Feb 8, 11:10*am, Sacha wrote:
On 8/2/09 08:37, in article ,

"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip

The first lot of serious cold in January took us down to an unexpected
-9c and as you predict above many plants I thought would be "OK" have
gone even those with wall protection have not escaped but the Feijoa
(Acca) is absolutely untouched dispite being freestanding given that I
have lost most of my Phormiums you can tell its been very cold here.

It's extraordinary, Charlie. *You've had it worse than we have here, so near
Dartmoor and yet you're supposed, if anything to have a milder time of
winter in Cornwall. *This has been a very peculiar winter where snow and ice
are concerned and it doesn't sound as if it's over yet. *In fact, having
written that I looked out of the window and it's now sleeting.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Two days ago Sacha, here in the Auvergne, we had blue skys and I went
for a walk celebrating that the snow may well be over. No, it's back
again with a vengence and bitterly cold. The damage to some of my
trees is awful with broken branches and some of the evergreens will
need massive reshaping. I am rather fed up with it as I get stir
crazy on days like this.

Judith

"They" are telling us there's more snow on the way here but in reality,
we're not taking anything for gospel! We've had a lot of snow for us but
that means very little indeed by comparison with the rest of the country.
Matthew did start up the heating in the tunnels just in case we had a really
huge dump of snow because it's dangerous for the polythene but it didn't get
near that point. Last night went down to -1 while -4 was predicted. I
don't know if it went that low in other parts of Devon, though.