Old 08-02-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Indoor sowings weedy

Davy writes
When I sow tomato seeds indoors I stick them on a shelf

right up
against the conservatory window in full light. I like

the see the
little beggars come through stubby and dark green as

soon as they
break the surface. I'd think that tall weediness is

probably due to
insufficient light.

So the only person who has had success with indoor sowing
uses a conservatory? Does this mean that putting trays in
a normal house window usually produces weedy seedlings?
DAvy

Pretty well, yes. Definitely at this time of year. Not a problem in
high summer.

You might do a bit better in a cooler room to slow down the growth (but
then you might not get good germination).

They will recover from being long and weedy, if you can plant them out
soon enough. Which means sowing later if the only place you have for
them is a windowsill.

--
Kay