Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tenman tenman is offline

Default Hello Again , ABPO ?

wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:29:59 -0800 (PST) in Ted Byers wrote:

It isn't a question of being stuck. I have years of experience using
Outlook Express. I just hate it because of the extent it wastes
resources such as hard disk space, and it's interface leaves much to
be desired. A web interface is preferable (if well designed) since
the data remains on the host, always viewable, and consumes minimal
resources on the client machines. Web technologies are just more
flexible that nntp allows.

Outlook is a festering pile of feces, and always has been.

Yes, it's always been a mystery to me why anyone would buy software from
a company whose chief product by volume is fixes for its faulty
products. Idiots!

there are lots of web
based orchid forums out there. None of them are like the wild, wild west
USENET used to be. I was recently asked where all the RGOers went. I
replied that I really did not know and that you did not see that many of
them on the various website forums

Yes, and I miss the wild wild west.The community feeling without it is
gone. AOS forum was a reasonable substitute til they broke it up into
little bits and cut out everyone who questioned AOS or argued. The
arguments were fun. It was just like real life - people argue - no need
for Second Life!

While USENET was useful in its time, there are major problems with it
(SPAM, flamewars, poor signal to noise ratio). I prefer a little more
order than is possible in the wild wild west.

And many of us, like me, prefer a LOT more freedom, like the USENET,
warts and all!!

problems like SPAM (some of which was so
disgraceful no responsible parent would let their kids see similar
material).

[Then, and here's an idea - don't let them see it!!]

Yes, responsible parents, who are as scarce as hen's teeth and would
lazily rather restrict everyone's freedom than supervise their children.
Well, I'm not a child and it's not my job to care about their children -
it's theirs! Don't want to go to the trouble of monitoring and
supervising your children? Then don't HAVE them!!! I'm sick of
everything in my life being circumscribed by OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN.
Freedom of speech? Ooh, don't cuss in public because some person's
coddled little brat might hear a word. Oh, terrible. A word. So because
the parent chose to breed and drag their child out in public I lose my
freedom of speech? If they don't like it they can keep the kid in, or,
here's an idea, teach the kid whatever values they like without
impinging on the freedom of everyone else. Too hard? Then don't be a
parent. They're worried about my speech but they'll happily sit the kid
down in front of a tv set and watch two supposedly human beings beat
each other senseless and call it sport [boxing]. Bah! Humbug!

Thank goodness the governor of NY didn't pick the Cuomo nazi for the
senate seat!!