Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acacia frost damage

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
On 8/2/09 08:37, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,

says...
In article
,
Judith in France wrote:

I have Acaias in my garden but as there are several types, I'm unsure
which one it is. It's certainly not the one I had in UK which had
little yellow fluffy flowers and was planted direct into a planting
hole in a conservatory, that was not hardy, hence it was grown
inside. The ones I have here are as tough as old boots, they have to
be, when they are in leaf and flower about May, I will post a photo
and perhaps someone can identify them for me.

As far as I know, none are hardy in the colder parts of the UK.
This winter is going to see off a LOT of the more tender plants
that people have been putting in over the past decade.

I shall have to see if my Erythrina crista-gallis, Albitzia
julibrissin and pomegranate (in a pot) come through. The feijoa
(also in a pot) may also have trouble if it gets much colder.

My Ipomea indica in the bed definitely won't - but it didn't do
anything much this year and only just came through last winter.
It was worth a go as it layers readily!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The first lot of serious cold in January took us down to an unexpected
-9c and as you predict above many plants I thought would be "OK" have
gone even those with wall protection have not escaped but the Feijoa
(Acca) is absolutely untouched dispite being freestanding given that I
have lost most of my Phormiums you can tell its been very cold here.

It's extraordinary, Charlie. You've had it worse than we have here, so
near Dartmoor and yet you're supposed, if anything to have a milder time
of winter in Cornwall. This has been a very peculiar winter where snow
and ice are concerned and it doesn't sound as if it's over yet. In
fact, having written that I looked out of the window and it's now
sleeting.

At least I no longer have to worry about my Acacias - they are all dead!

Are you sure? I wouldn't be certain about anything until the spring.
Usually, though, it would be the other way round - plants which don't look
dead now just fall over when you expect them to start growing.

Maybe you'll be lucky and one or two might resprout come the warmer(?)
weather.

--
Jeff