Old 10-02-2009, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default No one from Victoria?

John, it is good to hear from you. Our deepest thoughts are with you, and
your country.

Thank you for responding, as I know many of us are thinking of all of you
and hoping for the best. How awful to be so close to someone who perished.

Diana

"John Varigos" wrote in message
ster.com...
Hi all

I posted this yesterday on OGD in response to Kathy's posting there.

"Thanks for your thoughts. I don't know of anyone from the orchid
community here who has been affected but I'll know more tonight when I
attend the Orchid Species mtg here in Melbourne. The current death toll
is more than 130 and expected to rise significantly as the authorities
move into the burnt out areas. There are also severely burnt people in
hospitals.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/bu...0209-81ue.html

The fires are still raging out of control and more towns are threatened.
At least the temperatures have fallen which should aid the fire fighters.

The worst part is that police suspect at least half the fires were
deliberately lit. Considering we have had drought conditions for the past
10 years it borders on insanity."

Following the meeting last night it appears that no members of our Society
were directly affected but one member had to leave the meeting when he
found out that his daughter's best friend had died in the fires. A fern
and orchid nursery in the area of the fires seems to have escaped with
minor damage.

The number of lives lost now stands at 171 and is still expected to rise.

The current situation is that more towns are now being threatened as the
fires continues their ravaging.

John
Melbourne, Australia

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Funny you should write this. I just booted up and was going to ask if
everyone is okay.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I don't think any of us are from Victoria, Australia...Reiner may be...
but I think he's from the eastern side of Victoria. I read the fire
reports and it just sounds grim. Anything you can say is an
understatement.

Fingers crossed for one and all

K Barrett