Old 11-04-2003, 06:45 PM
swroot

Default Ceanothus problem

SteveC wrote:

I bought a Ceanothus a couple of years ago. The problem is that on
most of the branches there are no leaves on the inner half. It has
always been like this and looks very straggly. It has been a couple of
years now and it seems to be struggling. Does any one know if this is
normal or if not if there is anything I can do to get it looking more
healthy.

Are the leaves a good dark green? Does it flower well? If so, it's
probably happy. Mine (I think it's 'Cynthia Postan') is apparently
blissfully happy but also tends to become a hollow shrub; I've
discovered it responds well to moderate pruning, so I've decided to
sculpt it into an attractive shape to allow more light to the bed
underneath it and encourage new growth from the main stem.

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley