Old 10-02-2009, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Saving seed by flotation in water

michael wrote:

I have now sown two varieties of lettuce seed last month and can
report that I have achieved 100% (or as near as I can judge)
germination.So sorting seed using flotation works!

I do this with brassica and onion/leek seeds and it works well. I dry them
by spreading out in a kitchen sieve suspended in one of those plastic
crate storage boxes with a small fan blowing on it; gets the seeds dry much
faster.
A set of screens with various mesh sizes is also a big help.