Old 10-02-2009, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Path Edging

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message news:4991DE75.30304@directory...
What is a rebar section?

Hi Ed,
rebar is a concrete reinforcement bar, the metal rods they use to reinforce
large pours of concrete in wall and bridges and the like. I picked up lots
of pieces of rebar trimmings around construction sites for use in my
gardens.

There are some people in this group who strongly feel that unless you do
everything in your garden precisely engineered to last the next 200 years
and require a carting service to freight your materials you aren't doing it
properly. I disagree. I had a neighbor who used his empty beer bottles
pushed willy nilly into the dirt to line paths, whatever, it worked for him.
There were days when I'd see him on the ground resetting the beer
bottles....while he drank another cold one. I realize there's plenty of
people who think he should have mortared them in using all sorts of formulas
and exact techniques, set up elaborate alignment and holding mechanisms or
wouldn't even consider the bottles in their gardens at all.

Yes, your original idea will work.....for awhile anyway. Yes, you can pound
those stakes into the ground and screw the side boards to them. It probably
won't last more than a few years but it will work. I used rebar as the
stakes to hold 1x6 boards on path edging, one bar in the middle and one on
each end on the opposite side of the up ended board. Instead of landscape
cloth I used thick layers of wet newspaper and discarded carpet scraps
putting them down backside up and covering with wood chips. The frame
contained the wood chips just fine. They didn't float anywhere and we get
buckets of rain in Seattle. I happened to use this method and materials
because it's what I had at the time. It worked fine just as yours will work
just fine. As my garden evolved so did I and the construction projects.

And Ed, if it doesn't work out quite as you expected, who cares! Stand back,
see what went wrong, what you have handy to fix it so it works for you.
There really aren't any garden police you know

Val