Old 11-02-2009, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Path Edging

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:07:17 +0000, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 10/02/09 16:25, Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:11:50 +0000, Ed ex@directory wrote:

I want to put a path down the centre of my allotment and contain it
within a wooden framework.

I am thinking of using long lengths of gravel boards, on either side of
the path, that are 6" x 1" and screwing these onto 2ft 6" stakes that I
will hammer into the ground. Is this a good way to go?

The stakes are 2" x 2" and I am thinking of cutting the ends to a 45
degree angle so as to ease them into the ground when I hammer them in.
Is this good or would a shallower angle be better?

Ed

I used to have a problem under a high wooden deck, where nothing would
grow and the rain would splash red mud against the siding. It was a
mess. I used an idea from a state park. Used 6x6 PT timbers and
drilled 2 or 3 1/2" holes in each timber to drive rebar sections. The
rebar sections were driven into the ground at 90 degrees. I used a
penetrating stain matching the deck. I laid down landscaping fabric
and filled it with crushed limestone. It has been there for over 14
years and still looks great and no more mud splashing. Critters
don't like walking on the gravel either. Driving wooden stakes into
the ground won't last long as rebar.

What is a rebar section?

Ed

You can purchase rebar lengths at Home Depo or Lowes in the building
materials section. I used the 2-foot lengths, very inexpensive. You
can buy longer lengths and cut with a hack saw.