Old 11-02-2009, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Path Edging

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 23:41:48 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:
"Val" wrote in message

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message news:4991DE75.30304@directory...

I had a neighbor who used his empty beer bottles pushed willy nilly
into
the dirt to line paths, whatever, it worked for him. There were days
when
I'd see him on the ground resetting the beer bottles....while he drank
another cold one.

I bet he lived in a trailer park in Texas. LOL

I live in a beautiful area in Austin, TX and I have one of my beds
lined with upside down bottles.

Bottles pushed into the soil as an edging are very traditional in cottage
gardens. I'm delighted to hear that this historic and frugal practice is
still in use. Bottles are also an extremely tough and environmentally
friendly edging.

Won't work where the ground freezes, they'll heave up.