Old 11-02-2009, 01:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Duckweed again

We've had some pretty cold nights here, down in the low 20s. Anyone
know how cold it has to get to kill duckweed? The pond out front is
only about one foot deep now, but the duckweed seems to have
vanished, and it used to be infested. Not so the pond in back, which
still has a healthy covering of duckweed. I have noticed turtles in
the front pond, and the back pond used to be clear, and I used to see
turtles. Now I don't. Could the turtles be eating the duckweed (I
know some are vegetarian) or is it that the turtles just prefer
duckweed-free ponds? The ducks don't seem to care, I find them at
either pond. I also seem to have an otter (or more, I only saw one),
should I be worried?