Old 11-02-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Michauxia tchihatcheffii

Sacha wrote:
Being either an optimist or a fool - or both - and no, I don't want your
opinions, thanks ;-)) - I'm going to have another try at getting this to
germinate. I haven't sown them for two or three years and last time, I
sowed two packets and not one came up. Obviously, I can read the
directions on a seed packet but has anyone any secret hints, tips or
suggestions for getting some success this time?

No. Maybe it's one of those plants which germinates only from very fresh
seed.

I've tried many times and given up. I grew it from a young plant purchased
from a nursery around 20 years ago and was very impressed with it when it
flowered later that year. But it lived up to its monocarpic nature,
unfortunately. Well, actually, it didn't set seed...

Since then, I've only ever seen it in flower in one Yellow-book garden, and
that was about 5 years ago. I was as impressed with it then as the first
time I saw it in flower.

I think you have to ask yourself why such a desirable plant is almost
unknown and barely available (do any of the sources who mention it in The
Plant Finder actually have it available for sale?). I wonder how common it
is in its native habitats?

--
Jeff