Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Daddy Tadpole Daddy Tadpole is offline

Default Path Edging

Can't remember where I read it, but a French recipe for public parks in clay
areas is to mix some chalk (or lime) and sand with the clay. This produces a
fairly hard but permeable surface.

Does anyone have more precise information?

Regards

"Pat Kiewicz" a écrit dans le message de news:
Ed said:

The path is 50 ft long x 3 ft wide. The surface should be fairly even
as I want to be able to push a wheelbarrow along without much effort.

How permanent do you want this path to be?

For my vegetable garden, the paths are leveled sections covered by
a heavy-duty woven nursery fabric. For an example only, see:
http://btgrowersupply.stores.yahoo.net/grouncovfab.html

This needs to be broomed off in the spring but has lasted for years.
(Before I bought this, I used strips of old carpet I'd salvaged to make
my paths,)

Fabric can be taken up and moved very easily. And it's no problem
to wheel a garden cart or hand truck over the fabric paths.

For a permanent path (and not considering expenses for the moment)
I've set in one stretch of concrete pavers on a thick sand base, and
used plastic edging to contain the pavers. Something like in this
example:
http://www.pavetech.com/paveedge/report.shtm

This involved using some heavy machinery to tamp down the sand for
sub-base and set the pavers into a

Under a tree (where I could not do the full excavation needed to lay
a proper base for pavers) I have a less formal path made from hand
compacted paver base with large flagstones set in it. This is not
quite flat and smooth, but it's still easy to roll a cart down it.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

After enlightenment, the laundry.

email valid but not regularly monitored