Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Default Ripening pears

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
As I said before I'm sorry

Well it's big of you to say so. But don't get too put out by a
snarly session on my part. Given the shit that's happening in
Victoria at the moment a minor face ripping on usenet is totally
irrelevant in the great scheme of things.

Quite so. How is your psture going? Any fires near you?

There is one fire in the district but it's nnot considered a problem
ATM but the smoke is somewhat concerning because you're always on
high alert, as you'd know.

Our pasture is all hayed off so it's a case of giving the cattle
bypass blocks to cope with the feed. Luckily (or perhaps unluckily
if a fire starts) we have lots of dry standing feed so we don't have
to feed out or buy any. Should be OK for winter too. And in fact
I'm now looking forward to winter with a vengeance.

What about your pasture - have you had to agist your animals yet?

Not yet. We have just let them into a reserve area that I was irrigating a
bit (until the river stopped) so they are OK for now. We have had 28mm of
rain in the last few days and getting a little green flush. Right now I am
gambling that we will get more rain and build up some growth before the
weather turns - if not we are stuffed. They are all pretty fat so a couple
of good falls in the next few weeks will see us through.

David