Old 12-02-2009, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Making cider at home

"enigma" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in
:

I checked the gravity this afternoon &b this evening. The 2
wild/cultured yeast batches were about 1.40 and the wild yeast
about the same. That should be enough sugar to continue the
fermentation for a wee while. The wild yeast batch has started
bubbling away today quite quickly. I will monitor its progress
over the next few days. One jug of wild/cultured yeast has
started fermenting again after I pitched in some extra yeast,
the other jug has not gotten started yet. The jug of sulphited &
cultured yeast has not started fermenting yet but I only yeasted
last night. Given the gravity, the problem may have been with
the yeast.

what are your fermenting temperatures?

I should have checked the gravity on the sunday but only buying
a hydrometer on Monday kind of made that difficult. On well.
Maybe the 'close enough' rule of thumb is a little bit arbitary
eh.

i hope you bought more than *one* hydrometer. they break very
easily & usually exactly when you really *need* one.

temperature is roughly room temperature. We have been having shitey muggy
weather of around 27-30 but with high humidity. That may be something to do
with the yeast being lazy. Who knows. The muggy weather is due to blow away
tomorrow onward & become sunny again. Will see if that makes a difference. I
the interim I have added some more yeast tonight. If nothing again I will
give it a good stir in a day or 2, maybe invert the bottle a few times.
Gravity is reading around 140 for all 4 bottles so no lack of sugar. The
hydrometer is not duff as it read 1000 in a bottle of tap water.

rob