Old 11-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Therefore

Default Grape Hyacinths

Any spare Grape Hyacinths you may have; please let me have them, are you
close to Truro per chance. if so I could come and collect Leslie

"Roberto" wrote in message
Thank you!

Robert from the English Riviera
http://www.nochex.com/payme.asap?ema...btinternet.com

Essjay001 wrote:
: Roberto, this is a helpful post take note
:
: Hussein M. scribbled:
:
:: On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:34:07 +0100, "Michael" wrote:
::
::: Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot
::: get rid of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy
::: clay. Systemic weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading
::: and growing lots of new bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can
::: destroy them.
::
:: I've never known such a hoopla caused by a such small plant!
::
:: Anyway, for what it's worth I reckon that the greatest friend to
:: grape hyacinths in their imperative to survive is the garden fork.
::
:: I keep a large fork only to move large perennials and shrubs.
:: However, if I had a vegetable area, my practice may well turn out to
:: be different there.
::
:: If you would like a patch (or sward) of grape hyacinths and also
:: keep them under control, simply don't dig around the edges of their
:: patch and if you move any other plants from their patch, check to
:: make sure you're not to taking a load of little bulblets with them.
:: They are really easy to "head" before their seed ripens and they can
:: propagate that way. It's quite a pleasant task really . Bye bye, bye
:: bye.
::
:: Having said that I do realise that, if they have become more out of
:: control than is desired in a large garden with heavy clayey soil, it
:: is a little harder to dislodge them from any areas you don't want
:: them. In light soils, gently loosening the soil with a hand fork and
:: a giving them a tug removes the plant with ease - the foliage and
:: bulb don't part company as I expect they might in a heavy soil.
::
:: However if you want to rid an area of them, now is the time to do
:: it
:: - whatever type of soil they are growing in.
::
:: Hussein
::
:: May you live an interesting life.