Old 11-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Marcory - may be spelt wrong!

In article ], Chris ] wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ],
Chris ] writes:
| An old person told me about a vegetable she used to eat in her youth.
| It was called "marcory" but she didn't know how to spell it.
| Does anyone know what it is?
| She said it was leaves like nettles.

Mercury. Good King Henry. All-good. Chenopodium bonum-henricum.
A perennial relative of goosefoot (orache) and seeds itself almost
as freely. You can also blanch the stems, when they are known as
Lincolnshire asparagus - I do. Goosefoot can also be eaten.

Thanks. I'd like to try it. Are seeds readily available?

Where do you live? I dead head it religiously, but a few seeds usually
escape to become weeds. It will transplant well only when VERY young.
I am pretty sure that you can get seeds from Chiltern, though I could
try gathering some.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.