Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Pruning eucalyptus

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:19:40 -0000, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
I have an approx 3 year old eucalyptus which is about 12 feet tall on
one stem. I think I should cut it back to grow bushy. I've not grown
one before. It's by a 6 ft fence.
3 questions:
When should I cut it?
What height should I cut it back to? 4 feet? More or less?
If I leaveit will it just go on up or will it bush out?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

Depends what you want it for. The usual species grown in the UK have
different juvenile foliage from the adult foliage. The juvenile foliage is
said to be more attractive for flower arrangers, so the plant should be cut
regularly to promote the growth of new foliage if you want that. It doesn't
really matter when it is cut, as most Eucalyptus plants are rapid growers.

Remember not to let it get away, or you'll need a chainsaw before you know
it!

Thanks Layman and Sacha
I do not like the new growth leaves on eucalyptus, so don't need it
for that. I just love the elegance of a big tree but don't have the
room. I think I'll let it go for another year. Though tall, the trunk
is not much more than broom-handle thickness.

Pam in Bristol