Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Michauxia tchihatcheffii

Sacha,

Ray Brown lists this if Derry can't supply and his seeds tend to be
rather fresher than some of the larger seed companies. Might be worth
contacting him. With regard to getting the seeds to germinate, try
sowing them on the surface of moistened, heat-sterilised, low nutrient
compost (I used just peat and sand when I raised some) and stretching
cling film tightly over the container to maintain very high humidity
until germination. A temp. of about 21C seems to do the trick and if
there's a night-time drop, so much the better. The seeds seem to need
light to germinate, so don't cover them.

As for pronunciation, I've always said Mitch-awks-ee-ah chi-hatch-eff-
ee-eye and have never been pulled up on it.