Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Michauxia tchihatcheffii

On 12/2/09 19:42, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

Sacha,

Ray Brown lists this if Derry can't supply and his seeds tend to be
rather fresher than some of the larger seed companies. Might be worth
contacting him. With regard to getting the seeds to germinate, try
sowing them on the surface of moistened, heat-sterilised, low nutrient
compost (I used just peat and sand when I raised some) and stretching
cling film tightly over the container to maintain very high humidity
until germination. A temp. of about 21C seems to do the trick and if
there's a night-time drop, so much the better. The seeds seem to need
light to germinate, so don't cover them.

Thanks, David. I'll do that. On one of the pop benches we have a little
'tent' for extra humidity so I'll pop them in there.

As for pronunciation, I've always said Mitch-awks-ee-ah chi-hatch-eff-
ee-eye and have never been pulled up on it.

I'm not entirely surprised...... ;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com