Old 12-02-2009, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Snow point?

On 12/2/09 20:16, in article
, "moghouse"
wrote:

On Feb 12, 3:04*pm, Sacha wrote:
This is probably a silly question but what is the temp at which one can
expect snow if clouds are about? *Or are there too many variables such as
sea, mountains, high land etc., to make it possible for a straight answer?

My Grandfather was an old countryman steeped in country lore and he
say to me, "You know when that's gonna snow, boy, 'cos white bits
start dropping outta the sky." Throughout my life I have found this
has always been true.

My husband knew a similar old countryman in Essex who swore that it was
going to be 'bloody cold' if the wind was in the North because it would stay
there for 2 weeks and that started with a sentence that contained 'boy' as
an essential ingredient! So did another who, when Ray moved here and said
something about it being cold said "Is the blackthorn out" and when Ray said
it was, Tom replied "Of course it's bloody cold then". ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com