Old 13-02-2009, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
moghouse moghouse is offline

Default Winter weather, now and then.

I know there is little chance of doing much in the garden at present
so we are reduced to talking about the weather but....

I am old and I feel the cold (always have) but it seems to me that thw
winters are no where near as cold as they used to be. I don't go along
with all that Global warming nonsense, so what has happened? Perhaps I
have fetched up in that precious part of the country where the weather
is nearly always good? Perhaps the food I eat is better and I am
better insulated. Perhaps the clothes I wear afford better protection,
though a fleece does not seem to equate to the sheepshin and leather I
used to wear in years gone by. Perhaps it is that central heating but
then surely it would seem colder when I go outside?

My earliest memories of cold weather were standing outside the village
school in the war, crying because I was so cold, waiting for the
teacher to arrive and let us in - no caretakers to light the boiler in
those days, in fact no boiler just a pot bellied stove that didn't
warm the place up until lunchtime. In February 1947 we moved from the
country to a town and the snow was way over my head and took weeks to
melt. A few years later I sat my 11 plus exam on a day when it was too
cold to hold the pencil properly and the frozen bottles of school milk
were put on the stove to melt. Happy days - kids today don't know
they're born.

Having said all that, I am a southern softy but the winters seem quite
mild to me now by comparison with the past.