Old 13-02-2009, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carole[_3_] Carole[_3_] is offline

Default Honey Fungus

Blimey..too much information !!!!

Now I don't know if I can eat the fungus and have a fab free meal...or die
!!!!
And ...should I plant the prunus...or...eeeerrrmmm...not
Jeeeeez..life's complicated..but I guess if all I have to worry about is a
hedge ...I should count my blessings.
maybe I'll continue to get my mushrooms at the village community
shop.....and just sit in my garden with a glass of wine and enjoy it's
beauty...hedge or no hedge...life's too short

Thanks all you guys xx

"Spider" wrote in message

"Carole" wrote in message
et...
I have a long privet hedge. A section of it in the middle, about 6 plants,
have died due to honey fungus which got to it from an old horse chestnut
stump which was cut down several years ago. The spread seems to have
stopped (is it likely to come back ?)
I actually don't like privet - ugly stuff. I have another very long
headge of prunus - lovely glossy leaves, much nicer.
I'd like to replace the lost privet with prunus, and if it takes well,
gradually replace the whole privet hedge with prunus to match the other
one.
Question - is prunus also likely to succumb to honey fungus, or is it
more tolerant. ? Don't want to plant new stuff that is just going to
die.
Thanks
Carole

Many Prunus spp are susceptible to Honey Fungus. However, Prunus spinosa
and Prunus laurocerasus have some degree of resistance, so you may be in
with a chance since it sounds as if you have the 'Victorian' Prunus
laurocerasus.

If you can, improve your chances by removing as much infected soil and
plant material as possible, and use an Armillaria drench to help clean up
the soil.

If you are a member of the RHS, you could request a copy of their Honey
Fungus plant pathology advisory leaflet, or you could google on HF and see
what comes up.

Spider