Old 13-02-2009, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Persephone@NoSpam.com is offline

Default Saving rainwater

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:13:00 -0800, "Val"
wrote:

I had two 500 gallon holding tanks for rain water. They were fiberglass and
I could see the water turning lovely shades of green as the summer
progressed. Didn't hurt a thing. You're only using it to water your plants,
right? I did toss in a few feeder gold fish every year as soon as the temp
was above 50°. They are excellent, non toxic skeeter control. I never fed
the fish and they thrived until I emptied the tanks in the fall before the
hard freeze.

BTW, if you are looking for a very inexpensive holding tank check out septic
tank companies. I got two 500 gallon septic tanks for $20 each. They had
been cracked when delivered to this company so couldn't be used for the
intended purpose but I just got a patch kit

What kind of patch kit? Must be strong to resist that water pressure.

and fixed the cracks when I got them home. Worked great.

Val

Wow - not too shabby! May I ask your area? Sounds like a place with
a real winter. I am in So. Cal coastal...usually not much winter.

I assume you had to pick them up?
to pick them up?

Persephone

wrote in message
Here in So. Calif, we have had drought conditions for several
years, so now that we are having some rain, am saving every drop of
rainwater I can. I now have a large barrel full, and more may be on
the way - I hope!

Question: How long can I "safely" keep the barrel full
of H2O? Without breeding mosquitos, worst case, or..?

Is it necessary to put some chlorine in, and if so,
how much would be safe for the plants.

This may all be overkill; if we just don't get any more
rain, it will get used up fast. Have been curious about
this for some time, so turning to Your Wisdom g

Persephone