Old 14-02-2009, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Saving rainwater

wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:13:00 -0800, "Val"
wrote:

I had two 500 gallon holding tanks for rain water. They were
fiberglass and I could see the water turning lovely shades of green
as the summer progressed. Didn't hurt a thing. You're only using it
to water your plants, right? I did toss in a few feeder gold fish
every year as soon as the temp was above 50°. They are excellent,
non toxic skeeter control. I never fed the fish and they thrived
until I emptied the tanks in the fall before the hard freeze.

BTW, if you are looking for a very inexpensive holding tank check
out septic tank companies. I got two 500 gallon septic tanks for $20
each. They had been cracked when delivered to this company so
couldn't be used for the intended purpose but I just got a patch kit

What kind of patch kit? Must be strong to resist that water pressure.

Not specially. A small tank only has a head of water of one or two metres.
Compare (say) with a quite modest irrigation pump that gives a head of 40m,
big systems can be much more.

David