Old 14-02-2009, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default The Greenhouse Hamburger

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:
One note: Taking the Master Gardener class this winter, has to be one of
the best decisions I made in the last few years. Learning allot about
gardening and most of it is in the area in which I live within. The
massive book alone was worth the money, It has to be the best book on
gardening I have ever read.

Care to share any of your learning? What was the cost?

Cost $250, this includes the 800+ page local book, 12 four hour classes
and try to volunteer 40 hours of public garden service to the community.

Classes; Plant Science, Soils, Vegetable Culture, Plant Diagnostics,
Flowers, Woody Ornamentals, Backyard Fruits, Lawn, Household Pest,
Indoor plants, Composting/Water Quality, Plant Health Care and
Volunteerism.

The best part the information is mostly local. So far, I am half way. I
learned a little about; Botany, taking soil samples, when and how to
prune, fertilizers (Good and Bad), tools and their uses and care and
what grows well here. Also tends provide local sources for garden
supplies. The course also cover organic methods and chemicals methods.

A very enjoyable and informative course. I should have taken this course
years ago. Also includes first year membership into the local Master
Gardener club. Looking forward to attending my first meeting next week.

Hoping to start germinating this week end.

Next month for me.

I do believe I read somewhere here, you (Billy) also attend Master
Garden meetings?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

I've not had the pleasure of attending Master Gardeners classes but they
are a phone call away if I want their input on some question.
Unfortunately, they are 0 for 2 so far. 1) What would grow well with
potatoes and blueberries both of which like a low pH (4.5 - 5.5)? I got
a list of plants and their pH requirements but nothing else seems to go
this low. 2) My second question had to do with the potential of soil
contamination from fish emulsion (mercury, PCBs, DDT, PBDEs, and
dioxins).

It sounds as if you are taking interesting and practical classes, good
for you :O)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-operation_(evolution)

Here in northern California, spring is gone and winter has returned.
Predicted to be overcast and rainy until the 27 of February.
--

Billy
Kleptocrats Behind Bars