Old 14-02-2009, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default The other Ashburton

On 14/2/09 09:10, in article , "Roy
Bailey" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
[snipped]
And if you go to Milford Sound look out for the lupins
growing wild on the side of the river bed on the road up from Te Anau. It's
the most fantastic sight and scent.

Actually these lupins are a pest in New Zealand. When we were there 7
years ago we found that they were growing everywhere and gangs of
workmen were spraying the roadside clumps with weedkiller.

Hmmm, well I don't think it's done much good because they were everywhere to
be seen last Nov/Dec.

I brought back a few seeds from the Blenheim area and they germinated
here but the plants died. A pity, because they are a bright yellow and
do look lovely.

Those are the tree lupins, aren't they? We saw the 'escaped' Russell lupins
as well and yes, we were told they're a pest, too as is the Cytisus which is
rapidly taking over. Dog roses are giving them a good run for their money.
I had a very small sneaking feeling that the locals are beginning to realise
that while the lupins annoy them, the visitors go into raptures over them.
Those at Milford Sound were being photographed constantly as we drove up and
back.

Regarding Ashburton, when we passed through the town we noticed that
someone had added an 'H' to the front of the name on the road sign!

Roy.

!!

--
Sacha