Old 14-02-2009, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Honey Fungus

On Feb 13, 1:33*pm, "Carole" wrote:
I have a long privet hedge. A section of it in the middle, about 6 plants,
have died due to honey fungus which got to it from an old horse chestnut
stump which was cut down several years ago. *The spread seems to have
stopped (is it likely to come back ?)
I actually don't like privet - ugly stuff. *I have another very long headge
of prunus - lovely glossy leaves, much nicer.
I'd like to replace the lost privet with prunus, and if it takes well,
gradually replace the whole privet hedge with prunus to match the other one.
Question - is prunus also likely to succumb to honey fungus, or is it more
tolerant. ? *Don't want to plant new stuff that is just going to die.
Thanks
Carole

Carole, I had honey fungus on a stump of an old tree which was growing
in my hornbeam hedge (not this house). It didn't affect the hedge at
all, maybe there is another reason for the los of your privet?

Judith