Old 11-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Fred Garvin

Default Japanese Beetles...

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:10:48 -0400, C. Hurst wrote:

HELP!

I want to get an early start on these monsters this year...

Is there anything short of napalm (...and I am willing to try that...)

Thanks,

Carla (...whose cats think Japanese Beetles are a crunchy nutritional
supplement... but don't eat them in sufficient quantities....)

P.S.
Last year a neighbor suggested nicotine...so I collected cigarette butts
(since I don't smoke) and soaked them then sprayed it on my
grapevines...and I swear...I think they LIKED the stuff...leave it to me
to find Japanese Beetles with a nicotine habit...and the collection bags
are worse than useless...they encourage the little beggars...I'm thinking
of hanging them in my neighbors yard...that might do it...

Start by putting down a product called "Grub-X". About now actually.
These beetles come out of the ground and that stuff will kill them in
their baby stage. Then, get one or 2 of those Jap beetle traps.
The first year I had one I caught literally THOUSANDS of them.
Every year after that the numbers declined. I think I saw maybe one
all last year.

Do both and you'll see a BIG difference.