Old 15-02-2009, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Saving rainwater

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:33:23 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

Don't really need fiberglass septic tanks for collecting rain
water for irrigation.

of course not, but a damaged fiberglass septic tank is a hell of a
lot cheaper than a poly tank!
lee

About these septic tanks... When set up are these placed underground
like a cistern, or left above ground for their beauty and all the
neighbors to enjoy?

I am fortunate to have a spring-fed pond (about 7,000 gallons) that
contantly runs into an underground overflow that spills into a small
stream. It never gets stagnant and has thousands of fish that take
care of the mosquitoes (read somewhere that a fish pond actually
decreases mosquito populations). Typically we get July-August
droughts and I take water from the pond to water the gardens. Since
there is no way to easily separate the fish from the pond water, the
plants get fed some fish along with the water. Maybe some day I'll
install a hand pump in the vegetable garden.