Old 15-02-2009, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fuschia[_2_] Fuschia[_2_] is offline

Default Question on ashes

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:18:30 -0000, "Wally"
wrote:

Since getting a wood burner I have accumulated a
large pile of ashes (most wood but some coal).
What is the best way of using them on my allotment ?
Should I just throw on the ground and dig in or maybe
put on the compost heap ??

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Wally

You need to make sure that they are not too concentrated, and
preferably weathered. Either spread them thinly around when you are
digging, or mix them up in the compost heap.
If you have slug problems, putting a ring of ashes around the affected
plants will often deter them.