Old 15-02-2009, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Black Currant Pruning.

In article ,
says...

I have some black currant bushes which have an 'established' look.
I want to prune them and have been told to cut back on the old growth.
Trouble is, having just looked at them, I can't see any difference between
the branches to able to tell new from old.

Advice please.

mark

Take out about one third of branches near the base, I do ours while
picking them so I can sit in a chair! but now is the more normal time,
this is reapeated each year until after 3 or 4 years you have the cycle
going, it does of course require the bushes to be growing well.
The older wood is generally black and the younger wood is tan coloured.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk