Old 15-02-2009, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Saving rainwater

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news

About these septic tanks... When set up are these placed underground
like a cistern, or left above ground for their beauty and all the
neighbors to enjoy?

I put the tanks up on 'cribs' built of some 4x4 beams salvaged when I tore
down an old tractor shed. My closest neighbors were about 4 miles away so
their yapping dogs, leaf blowers, music blasting from shitty outdoor
speakers duct taped to their trailer and any comments on my 'projects'
weren't really an issue. The tanks were on the backside of the barn and the
back corner of the house and wasn't seen from windows or during casual
meanderings about the 'estate' so I wasn't really worried about aesthetics.
I also built a sort of lean-to roof over them so they wouldn't get the sun
beating down on them. That was suggested by the guy I bought them from to
keep them from breaking down from UVs or whatever. I drained them completely
before winter set in since we had weather cold enough to freeze lakes thick
enough to park a camper on while ice fishing. When I set them up I just
drilled a hole at the bottom corner and put in a spigot. I just used a hole
saw and seated the spigot with silicone. The tank was set so it was about 4
inches lower at the spigot end.

Here's just a thought. Since you have a good water source with the pond,
albeit somewhat inconvenient, maybe you could pump from the pond when you
need it to a water barrel placed a bit above ground level right in your
garden. If you put a water barrel on a platform, had a hose attached to the
bottom of the barrel you could water by gravity feed. The barrels sold as
water barrels already have a spigot attached just for this purpose. If you
don't have an electrical source for a pump a solar pump
http://www.solarpumps.com/ could bring the water from the pond to the
barrel. A wire cage at the suction end of the pump hose would keep the fish
out. You also might want to check with the local authorities to see if it's
legal to pump from that pond if you decide to do something like this.
There's all kinds of regulations about that, depending on where you live,
even if the pond is on private property.

Val