Old 16-02-2009, 08:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Need Help w/ Post Hole Digging Clay Soil

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
I'm digging post holes in my yard for a fence and have come upon hard
clay soil with tons of tree roots below. I cant get my shovel more
that 2 inches deep. I have to finish my fence because i have half done
all this work to get 1/2 up already. The one side was very moist and
muddy but the trouble section is hard/clay like cememnt.

What are the tools and options I have to inexpensively get these holes
dug? Is there any reasonably priced machine that I should use? I'd
rather do manually if anyone has any tricks....

Neighbour with posthole digger on their tractor? I suspect any hand held
power tool would be useless as anything powerful enough to turn through
hard clay would rotate you in the opposite direction and anything you
could hold still would get through.

maybe 2-3 mates helping you bore the holes with a hand held digger? Get them
round for an hour or so, dig the holes & then give them some beer. Enough
muscle may be able to keep the digger stable whilst cutting through the
soil, maybe.