Old 16-02-2009, 04:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Black snakes

tathraman wrote:
Do red-bellied blacks get into fishponds and eat goldfish?

I've seen them hanging around in creeks and they swim pretty
efficiently. The fish'd have to be pretty unlucky, though, not to be
quick enough to outwit a reptile.

It's more likely kookaburras or egrets/herons eating your fish. A good
solution is to get a bit of bird mesh and sink it just below the surface
of the pond. This works very well, so long as the fish aren't small
enough to swim above the mesh.

Years ago, I had some goldfish in a backyard swimming pool. A Pacific
Heron took to strafing the pool and managed to gobble up a couple of the
fish before I put the bird mesh in. That fixed the problem for good,
although I bet Mr Heron was spitting chips (well, fish at least) at the
loss of his smorgasbord!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia