Old 16-02-2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Keeping duck out with electric fence?

One thing I should mention regarding netting and ducks. This is from an
experience with the Demo Pond. There is a small rope fence around the
perimeter of the pond to stop tots from just falling in. So we figured just
attach the netting to the top of the posts. This kept taller plants from
getting entangled just in case they started growing before we took it off.
Well that didn't work, as the duck walked under the rope and into the pond.
The next year we put the netting on top of the posts and down the sides.
Due to needing extra netting to do this we used 2 sheets over lapped and
zipped tied. Not sure what happened, since the pond is in a public area and
the public is not always well behaved, there soon was a gap between the 2
sheets. The ducks actually dropped thru and then would fly straight up when
spooked. Crafty little bas... birds. ;-)

Not sure how the demo pond committee's plan worked last year. When I went
for a visit the bird netting was on the surface in places and the plants
were intertwine. I was just glad it wasn't MY problem any more. When you're
done, you're done. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us