Old 17-02-2009, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Black Currant Pruning.

The message
from Aries contains these words:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:59:28 GMT, Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Aries contains these words:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 01:19:18 -0800 (PST), Jonathan wrote:

They fruit on new growth, so the easiest way to do it is to cut off
the branch with the ripe fruit on it and then remove the fruit sitting
down at your leisure. We have been doing this successfully for over
twenty years. (Not true for red currents that fruit on old growth.)

Jonathan

Good tip, thanks

But significantly reduces the crop.

what do you suggest then ?

What I suggested earlier in the thread - cut out a third of the bush
each year on a rotational basis.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig