Old 18-02-2009, 08:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Persephone@NoSpam.com is offline

Default Baby Bok Choy

Sob! Very disappointed in my baby bok choy planting.

I put the seeds in I think around December -- maybe late November,
just before I left for 2 weeks in Morocco. Dammit - next time I will
keep better records.

Anyway, they grew fine, except that I didn't thin soon enough --
a continuing fault in my gardening.

They were still small when they suddenly went to seed.
This, in the middle of "winter" here in So. Calif.

This when my mesclun, planted months earlier, was still
doing fine.

(Our "winter" has been unusually weird. Usually the weather
here is very stable, but due to YOU KNOW WHAT there
have been spells of heat followed by spells of cold, and
finally some rain).

Here are my q. to this Honorable Body:

Do any of you have experience with baby bok choy?
Especially people with similar climates.

Are you supposed to actually pick the little plants when they are
still so small?

What could have caused them to bolt so suddenly?

Is "baby bok choy" really different from the veggies one
buys at the farmers markets? If so, how?

Any wisdom appreciated.

Persephone