Old 18-02-2009, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Road Salt problem - suggestions needed.... Final Update

wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 17:02:14 -0500, wrote:

The saga does have a happy ending after all. Here's the deal.

My first call was to the local HOA organization, asking them for advice.
As expected they said "send an email" and we'll forward to the
'appropriate
departments". I sent one, but didn't expect any response, as this is
"send it' we'll send it along to someone else, and eventually it will
wind up
in the round basket.. but we've done our job.

So, I searched a little on the internet... road salt is toxic.... found
out the
DPW Bureau of Highways is the county agency who salts the roads. Visited
their site... found a link to "Claim Management Dept". So called for
additional
information

They were exceedingly courteous in taking the information and promised a
supervisor would call."

At 7:00 am the following morning, a road crew was busy cleaning up the
salt we had scraped off over the weekend.

Two hours later a supervisor was onsite, surveying the damage. He called
in
a workcrew who removed the remaining salt, shoveled up the top layer of
contaminated dirt and replaced it with fresh soil.

Part of the problem... this is a cul-de-sac with the circle in the center.
A neighbor
parks his spare car on the curb 24/7 for months at a time. To avoid this
car, the
salt truck was forced to move closer to the circle, and because the salt
is sprayed
from the left side of the truck, it covered the circle, while leaving
the street
untouched.

So it had a good ending... the county responded, the plants were saved
and damage removed.

Followed up with an 'atta boy' to the division chief, praising the
efficiency of his department personnel.

End of story.....

End of story..... not!

If the neighbor's car is permitted to continue parking there you will have
the same problem next time the salt truck comes by.