Old 18-02-2009, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
robert robert is offline

Default Frogs

In message , Sacha
writes
On 18/2/09 13:08, in article ,
"endymion" wrote:

I seem to have lost all my frogs. I had a colony over 30 strong a couple of
years ago. I know the untimely cold last winter ( 2007/8) limited the
breeding that year but I had some back last year. Unfortunately all the
little taddies got eaten by dragon fly lava in the pond. I cleared the pond
but no frogs this year.

They usually arrive about Valentines day. My mother has frogs and spawn.
Hers usually arrive just after mine. I guess I am frog less then? I don't
suppose there is a solution to this really is there? Anything I can do?

We have none yet, nor do we have toads. I think the cold may have held them
up and also it's been very dry here. Usually, we see them on wet spring
nights. So as it's rained a bit today, we'll be out with the torch tonight
just to have a look.

As mentioned in an earlier thread our first frog of the year appeared on
16 January, but very sensibly disappeared two days later. Yesterday I
counted 9 in the pond but no sign of any spawn as yet.

The relatively dry December followed by the recent spell of unusually
cold weather will have undoubtedly thinned out the frog population but
there is still time for them to appear.

--
Robert