Old 18-02-2009, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Question on ashes

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

You should not have that much ash, a wood burner needs to burn on a bed
of
ash - I only empty a bit of mine out once a week.

Could you give me an idea of how deep you maintain that bed, and also
how high above it the air inlet is? I'm asking because I'm thinking of
adapting a Rayburn to be able to switch between coal and wood by taking
out the grate assembly and replacing it with a simple ash pan --but how
deep should I make it?

About an inch of ash suits my woodburner, but if the ash comes too far
forward to interfere with the air inlet I just push it back into the firebed
with my poker.

My idea is to use coal (as I do now) in the winter, when the Rayburn
stays in all the time, and wood for on-demand use in the less cold
months (aka "summer"). It would be a tall narrow firebox, rather than a
long shallow one. Would that work OK for wood?

I don't know. I have no experience with Rayburns.

.. And do you have any idea
of the rate at which you burn wood?

I burn a 6 x 4 x 4 trailer full of wood monthly in the evening and at the
weekend. If I am not at work it obviously increases.